Neato things on Etsy

Friday, February 19, 2010

Does Equis and Old Spice

I talked to a friend a few days ago.  After 20 years of marriage his wife decided she needs a break.  I called and we talked for a while.  The conversation was all over the place; we talked about everything from Sarah Palin to when he might be coming to the Bay Area.  After hanging up, I could not decide what's more shocking: the news or to hear his voice quavering.

My friend has been one of the most solid, upstanding man I've known.  He's the kind of guy who would run into a burning house to save a mangy dog.  He is the kind of guy who, in real life, undersells and over delivers.  He actually completes tech projects early and under budget! (for those of us who are in this field, that is the most amazing fact of them all.)

So to see that other, vulnerable, side of my friend is incredible.  It hits home how hurt he is.  He told me his wife came back one night to pack up cloths and some food before taking off again.  I can't imagine the anguish of having to watch this happen.  My stomach turns just thinking about it.

I admire my friend for reaching out for support. The fact that a guy actually stops to ask for directions is....you pick a word.  My friend brings to mind the Dos Equis man, or that Old Spice guy.  Except perhaps a bit shorter and much more approachable.


(puppy)

1 comment:

Amy Lee said...

Story always has two side, don't jump for conclusion till you hear both side. life is very crul. but depend how you manage it. still some joyfull around. love you Mom